I initially had the goal of getting this post done before Christmas, but if you know me you know that sometimes in all the hustle and bustle, blogging falls behind. Regardless, the gift giving continues even after December 25th, as we visit distant friends and family. This gift still works as a last minute DIY that’s both unique, one of a kind and from the heart. Let’s get to it.
- Multiple sizes of bowls for shaping – I used measuring cups and they worked perfectly!
- Oven bake clay
- Oven or other similar baking machinery
- Hot glue gun // permanent adhesive
- Tiny brushes – I’d get a flat one and a pointy one for accuracy
- Acrylic craft paint (whatever colors you desire!)
- Gold leaf (I like the pen option because it’s less messy, but the gold leafing paint is also a good option. The actual gold leafing paper has never worked out well for me… it’s a bit of a messy thing to deal with)
- Take a little clay and shape it to the bottom of each of the measuring cups(not the full size of the cups since these are ring dishes, not mini measuring cups)
- Smooth out the shape in the bottom of the bowl to minimize the “smudges” or bumps
- Carefully peel back the clay to preserve the shape you’ve created, and bake according to the package’s instructions
- Once baked, remove from oven, let them cool
- Play around with the sizes and decide how you want to layer the bowls together
- Hot glue each layer to the next, making each a little off center for a more “floral” appearance
- Paint the insides, outsides, and all over (if you chose) of the glued together cups using the acrylic paint, not the gold leafing (unless you want too!)
- Once dried, paint the bottom of the last layer of the dish, or each under part of each layer with the gold leaf pen or paint (or paper if you’re a bold one) and let it dry
Aren’t these just the cutest little things?! And they’re totally customizable, so you can make them all a lil bit different for each person on your gift list.
Are you going to try out these adorable yet affordable trinket dishes? Share with me below if ya do!
Merry Christmas and have a great holiday season!
Until next time,
Are you following us?!