Before getting into this post, I want you to do something for me. Close your eyes for 15 seconds (well finish reading this sentence first), and think of that piece of furniture you have that you don’t like, but need it for it’s functioning purposes. Okay, go.
I’m sure something came to mind – whether that’s a chest, a chair, a cupboard – or anything. Doesn’t have to start with a “c” like those three – I just like being creative, ha-ha get it?
Seriously! Dressers, chests, tables, all of it’s too expensive. Especially if you have a functioning one already, but it isn’t necessarily the most eye-catching piece of furniture.
So what’s a girl (or guy) to do? You’ve got an ugly piece of furniture, a budget, and a great style going on in your home, except for this one piece… I’ve got your answer, you ready for it?
BREAK OUT THE CHALK PAINT® BY ANNIE SLOAN
How many of y’all are shocked? My guess is not many, because I love this product and it’s versatility. Literally, this is the best paint ever (e v e r). And at the end of this post, I’m going to tell y’all about the G I V E A W A Y that the Chalk Paint Krewe is doing right now. Trust me, it’s worth the read to get to this phenomenal giveaway.
So where did I get this chest? It wasn’t a hand me down – I actually got it through a local marketplace app, for $25. Oh yes, what a steal my friends. I couldn’t pass it up! Unfortunately it wasn’t a color that matched my apartment bedroom’s color palette or my own personal style, but no fear, Chalk Paint® is here.
Isn’t it a cute lil chest?! Ugh, I’m obsessed. Ok, so here’s what I used and what I did:
- Bigger size of Old White, and a sample pot of Duck Egg Blue by Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan
- Clear wax and silver gilding wax – also from the Chalk Paint® collection
- A stencil, here I used the Bell Flowers stencil (of course from the Chalk Paint® collection, but any stencil will do!)
- *Stencil adhesive
- Brushes (I recommend Annie Sloan’s brushes because they are AMAZING and quick at covering lots of space, but any brush works too)
*Stencil adhesive is optional, but from someone whose done it with and without, I definitely recommend it to hold your stencil in place and not slip with the paint when you go to apply it
- *Remove knobs if needed (I didn’t)
- Paint the entire dresser using Old White and let it completely dry
- Second coat if needed (I did, because the wood was so dark and I was painting it so light) and let it dry
- Taking the stencil and the adhesive, spray the back of the stencil (not your dresser top), and place down
- Paint the stencil on – I recommend using a “blotting” technique so the paint doesn’t slip and get under the stencil and mess up your design
- Once dry, move on to the next stencil, and so on until you’ve completed your border and let that completely dry
- Taking the Clear Wax, go over the dresser minding that a little goes a long way with the wax
- Let cure for 24 hours since a chest is a very “hands on” piece of furniture
- Taking the silver wax, I went over the edges, details and even on a few of the bell flowers to make the colors really shimmer and catch your eye
- Take clear wax again, go over the silver areas, let dry
- Buff out the excess using an old sock on your hand or old sheets
I actually thought the silver was too much on my piece, but still liked it, so I took a small dab of Old White and faded out the silver a little bit so it wasn’t as harsh
Isn’t it neat how quickly and affordably you can turn your piece of furniture from drab to fab?!
Now let’s talk about this giveaway… Yes, it’s so good.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Like the Chalk Paint Krewe Facebook page, CLICK HERE to go to it
- Comment on the post about the giveaway telling us what piece of furniture you want to redo, CLICK HERE to go to it
That’s it, yup, just that simple. Incase you’re having trouble or want to be super sure of your entry, here’s a snapshot of what the correct post looks like:
The giveaway ends THIS SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 5TH! Four winners will be announced after then, and they will receive Chalk Paint® by Annie Sloan to redo their mentioned piece! So GEAUX GEAUX GEAUX!
Lots to write about in this post, so my fingers are tired now…
Lots of love,
Are you following us?!