It is FINALLY Spring Break and I can hardly stand it. Finally, a week off from homework, quizzes and tests, well, mostly. Unfortunately there are always some teachers who somehow manage to sneak in those hidden assignments to do over the break. Word to the wise – get them done now instead of during break!
Sunscreen can protect ya from the sun, but not it’s not the only thing you’ll need on SB. Luckily there’s someone here to help. Head on over to Madison’s post on Louisiana Girl in Pearls to get your SPRING BREAK PACKING LIST! Pssst… you’ll even see these hats in there 😉 Shout out to her for taking the SICK pictures in our trio collaboration you’ll see through out the post!
While packing, grab those sun glasses and grab those hats for maximum protection. Not sure how to style these fun and festive DIY hats? No worries – Caroline from Rewear, Reuse, Recycle can help you out! You’ll see some of her styling in THIS POST, but you’ll need to head on over to her post to really learn how to style it for success!
Anyways, WITHOUT further adieu, let’s get into the fab collab!
THE SIMPLE POM POM UPGRADED FLOPPY HAT
Not sure why the picture came out tinted lighter in the second pic, but no worries, still just as cute and functional!
SUPPLIES FOR POM POM HAT:
- Floppy hat
- String of pom poms (check Hobby Lobby – tons of options! This option was in the home fabric section)
STEPS FOR POM POM HAT:
- Remove the thin strand of pom pom from the thick backing (check out the picture above if you’re confused)
- Measure how long you’ll need the strand to be around the base of the hat, and cut the the strand right before the next pom pom
- Start sewing it down! Sew each pom pom down – you can do the strand later, but the pom pom is the heaviest part so that definitely needs to be sewn down
- Tip – sew each pom pom individually, so it’ll take a little bit of time, but definitely worth it
- Cut the thread, check it out and sew down any other places you feel may need reinforcement
FRINGED EDGE UPGRADED FLOPPY HAT
SUPPLIES FOR FRINGE TRIMMED HAT:
- Floppy hat
- Hot glue gun (with glue sticks)
- Fringe tassels (mine are from previous projects, but you can also put them at any local craft store)
STEPS FOR FRINGE TRIMMED HAT:
- Separate your fringe pieces by color, then pick a “pattern”or color options and line them up in front of you in the order you’ll glue to the hat
- Hot glue each piece of fringe down to the inside edge of the trim, so that they hang down along the edge without seeing the messy glue part
- After this dries, go back around the reinforce the glue with an extra layer
- Cut any loose hot glue strings, let it completely dry and done!
DOUBLE LAYERED RIBBONS WITH TIE UPGRADED FLOPPY HAT
SUPPLIES FOR DOUBLE LAYERED RIBBONS & TIE HAT:
- Floppy hat
- Thicker base ribbon (tend to stick to more neutrals to contrast with the patterned ribbon)
- Thinner top layer ribbons (pick your own ribbon color pattern that suits your personality)
- Hot glue gun (and glue sticks)
STEPS FOR DOUBLE LAYERED RIBBONS & TIE HAT:
- Measure the thin and thick layers around the base of the hat, leaving about a foot extra on each end of the thicker ribbon
- Glue down the thinner ribbon to the the thicker, then this connected piece down to the base of the hat
- Tie the ends of the thicker ribbon in a bow, and cut the ends to the appropriate length you desire
- Optional: glue the knot of the bow down to secure it even more and prevent any unraveling
So many options, there’s no excuse for you to avoid trying one of these out!
Do you have any other ideas for a floppy hat?! Share with us below! Be sure to check out our fab collab partners – Caroline and Madison!
Lots of love,
Are you following us?!