If you regularly keep up with the blog (which I’m sure most of you do, right?), then you know my last post was about my DIY dog graphic tshirt, accomplished with the help of iron on letters. I hope you don’t think that’s the last you’ll see of those letters, because it’s not.
I’m finding more and more ways to use these fun and easy appliques to be perfect in personalizing any item. From tshirts for me, gifts for friends, right on down to my birthday sash I’ll be sporting tomorrow evening. Before we jump into the sash, though, I wanted to share the tshirt I made for a friend as a gift! And no, she hasn’t received it yet, so spoiler for her too. Well, kind of. I’m not going to include a picture of the shirt just yet so it’s still got a little bit of an element of surprise!
One of my dear friends, Ragen, just got engaged. I don’t see her as often as I’d like, due to living in different cities and obligations, but I still wanted to celebrate her milestone in a modern and chic way. That’s when I arrived at the easy applique tshirt! Be sure to check out my Instagram page in the next two weeks to see a picture of it when she gets it!
It was applied just like the “I JUST WANT ALL THE DOGS” shirt, just cut, place down, iron and peel. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
CONGRATS TO RAGEN AND PARKER ON THEIR ENGAGEMENT, EVERETT IS SO LOVED AND Y’ALL’S FAMILY IS BEYOND BEAUTIFUL
Okay, now onto the birthday sash!
SURPRISE, it’s my birthday! Today I turn 22 (jaw drop), and yes, I am in shock. When did we grow up? And does anything fun ever happen after turning 21? Are there more milestones? I don’t know, so please share if you do.
Besides tackling the mysteries of life, 22 also presents itself with a bit of a “word” problem. When turning 21, it’s easy to find a sash! Here are a few I’ve found that I absolutely adore:
How cute are they?! And they’re all easy to find, since 21 is such a celebratory age. But, in coming upon 22, I’ve realized that there isn’t much to celebrate about (besides life worth living, which is always worth it), but you see my dilemma.
I sat down and started trying to rhyme to make a “saying” – so what rhymes with two? Clue, due, few, shoe, moo, and the list goes on and on… not to many fun, catchy and birthday related words came up though.
That’s when I got to thinking a little bit harder… what else is related to my birthday? And began to brainstorm, thus arriving upon the idea for this post. Something simple, but effective enough to get the point across – that it’s my birthday. Completely customizable so you can substitute your birthday hashtag, or any other alternative girl name other than “babe”.
If you aren’t looking to spend money purchasing the iron on letters (which can run a bit pricey), opt for the tracing alternative! Just fill out the email form in the middle of the post and get over 10 templates to write out est. *your birth year here*, I LOVE THIS IDEA TOO!
BIRTHDAY SASH SUPPLIES:
- 2.5″ satin ribbon (not wired)
- Applique scissors
- Iron on letters
- Spray on mod podge
- Spray on light matte finish
- Sewing needles with thread OR ultra heat-bond (for my no sew readers)
- Iron, ironing board (or if cheap college girl status like me, carefully and slowly using a flat iron works too)
BIRTHDAY SASH STEPS:
- Figure out your sash length by taking the end of the ribbon, tossing it over your shoulder and cutting where you desire the “knot” to hit*
- Lay out the ribbon, and cut from the corner to about 2 inches in on each end to give the ribbon the “sash” look**
- Cut out your iron on letters, cutting close to the outlines of each character is you want to have the design be straight or not if you desire the “jagged” look
- Flip the letters over, iron, and let cool
- Peel off the back of the iron on patches, slowly and then going over them with the iron one more time to ensure adhesiveness
- Spray on the spray mod podge, immediately following with colored glitter and topping with a light matte finish spray on
- Find your meeting point of the two sashes, and either sew down or use the ultra heat bond’s instructions to secure the two ribbon ends together
- Throw on a cute outfit, a cute hair accessory and your DIY birthday sash and you’re ready for a night on the town!
*: Not literally a knot, but this will be the meeting place of the two ribbons that will adhere via sewing or ultra heat bond
**: Here’s a better explanation I found on Pinterest of what I mean:
Pretty simple, huh? And an easy way to save money if you’re not splurging this year on your own birthday. This would also be a great birthday gift idea for a friend or family member that’s totally affordable.
If you’re not down to iron on, I also have an alternative for you, too! S L A M your email address into the box and get a free printable with all numbers, and est. written in pretty script. Simply trace, fill in with paint or paint marker, and voila! Another option for your DIY birthday sash.
What about you? Do you have any creative DIY birthday-related accessorizing? If so, please share below with me and all the other readers!
Lots of love,
Are you following us?!